[Project-ideas] GSOC 2013 mentorship request

saket sinha saket.sinha89 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 08:47:46 PDT 2013

Dear Sir,

According to a study previously done, in order to implement Indian script
in an Linux based Operating system, a many to one font-glyph relation has
to be implemented. Please visit this link to verify my statement
http://www.geocities.ws/ratheeshvadhyar/ratheesh-thesis.pdf

In Linux console, only English, Latin languages etc. have been supported.

 No support is their for Indian languages i.e.no Indian language keyboard
support is available inside the kernel.What I mean to say is that the key
buttons we press generate some encrypted code which we map to English
alphabets like A, B, C.

Now suppose you want to enable Hindi keyboard. Instead of A you use some
Hindi alphabet.
Externally you would change the keypad 'A' to hindi alphabet but inside the
kernel you will have to map the encrypted code( that in generated on
pressing 'A' keypad) to that Hindi character.

But this is possible with narrow Hindi alphabets which follow 1 to 1
relation between font and glyph.

Suppose you have a wide character, then the relation between glyph to font
is many to one relation. Now this implenataion is what we are trying to
implement in BOSS-MOOL project.

Regards,
Saket Sinha