[Project-ideas] GSOC 2013 mentorship request

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 09:39:35 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM, saket sinha <saket.sinha89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> According to a study previously done, in order to implement Indian script in
> an Linux based Operating system, a many to one font-glyph relation has to be
> implemented. Please visit this link to verify my statement
> http://www.geocities.ws/ratheeshvadhyar/ratheesh-thesis.pdf

The paper you cite is over a decade old. Much of the "plumbing" of
Linux has undergone a bit of change since then.

> In Linux console, only English, Latin languages etc. have been supported.

Yes. Although I've never quite figured out the upside of having
non-Latin language support, this has been the holy grail for a while.
<http://indiclanguagecomputing.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/devanagari-support-on-gnome-terminal/>
is one approach towards solving this. And yet, this is around 2 years
old.

>  No support is their for Indian languages i.e.no Indian language keyboard
> support is available inside the kernel.What I mean to say is that the key
> buttons we press generate some encrypted code which we map to English
> alphabets like A, B, C.

I am not inclined to ask why the kernel should have language keyboard support.

> Now suppose you want to enable Hindi keyboard. Instead of A you use some
> Hindi alphabet.
> Externally you would change the keypad 'A' to hindi alphabet but inside the
> kernel you will have to map the encrypted code( that in generated on
> pressing 'A' keypad) to that Hindi character.
>
> But this is possible with narrow Hindi alphabets which follow 1 to 1
> relation between font and glyph.
>
> Suppose you have a wide character, then the relation between glyph to font
> is many to one relation. Now this implenataion is what we are trying to
> implement in BOSS-MOOL project.

I have provided a short objective of the project idea. I would look
forward to your proposal.

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>