[Project-ideas] project-idea

Fri Apr 19 13:04:08 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Bhavani Shankar R <bhavi at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > one thing that i wanted to ask is that i found number of ways to rank the
> > translation quality while going through different documents , so had a
> doubt
> > that will the scoring mechanism be provided by the community as the style
> > guide or i need to develop a scoring mechanism also that would validate
> the
> > strings.
> >

> In ubuntu specifically, the translations lead used a script to get the
> translation stats and calculate the ranking based on completeness of a
> translation and validation is generally done by translation team and
> wrt quality, the translation suggestions on launchpad are matched
> against the translation guidelines set by the team.

I concur. The scoring mechanism evolves out for the long-term practices
followed by the translation team. It may be assessed using scripts or
through the translation tool that is used (mostly a web-based collaboration
tool, these days). Either way, I'd suggest that you look closely at a few
style-guides (across project types, languages, tools etc.) to evaluate a
range of items that you will have to factor in when creating the validation
rules.

regards
Runa