[Project-ideas] project-idea

Bhavani Shankar R bhavi at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 17 08:07:18 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM, pankaj malhotra <urgentpankaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies for the delayed response.
> I went through the translation procedures adapted by wordpress ,
> ubuntu(launchpad) , they have an active community of translators and provide
> their .po files.
> I also tried to translate a .pot file for limesurvey
> http://www.limesurvey.org/translationstatus/limesurvey.pot
> using poedit and went through a style guide on hindi language by microsoft .
> went through some research papers and documents for measuring of translation
> quality index (TQI) and other ways to rank the quality of translations.
> i also had a talk with the scholars in the linguistic department of our
> college and have started preparing a preliminary proposal , which i will
> mail you soon .

Thanks a lot for going through the processes

> one thing that i wanted to ask is that i found number of ways to rank the
> translation quality while going through different documents , so had a doubt
> that will the scoring mechanism be provided by the community as the style
> guide or i need to develop a scoring mechanism also that would validate the
> strings.

In ubuntu specifically, the translations lead used a script to get the
translation stats and calculate the ranking based on completeness of a
translation and validation is generally done by translation team and
wrt quality, the translation suggestions on launchpad are matched
against the translation guidelines set by the team.

See: http://people.canonical.com/~dpm/stats/ubuntu-12.10-translation-stats.html

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Stats#UbuntuTranslationStatistics

https://code.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations-stats

Maybe Runa can provide her inputs here.

> since my exams are going on so cannot be that much active on irc channel but
> will surely put best of my potential  once exams are over in a few days ,
> and will work hard to complete the project.

No Problems as long as the motivation factor is going

Regards,
--
Bhavani Shankar
Ubuntu Developer       |  www.ubuntu.com