[Project-ideas] Introduction

Shaumik Daityari sdaityari at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 02:17:53 PDT 2013

Hi,

I found an open source tool, hjerson [0] which searches for the following
errors in translations:

- inflectional (morphological) errors, i.e. incorrect word forms
- reordering errors, i.e. incorrect word order
- missing words
- extra words
- lexical errors, i.e. incorrect lexical choice

You can find a more detailed description of the tool at [1].

Would I be going in the right direction by incorporating hjerson in the
project?

[0] http://www.dfki.de/~mapo02/hjerson/
[1] http://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/pbml/96/art-popovic.pdf

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Runa Bhattacharjee <runabh at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Shaumik Daityari <sdaityari at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>  So basically, what I understand is that both the translated and the
>> original text would be the inputs, and I need to check for possible errors
>> in the translations as well as the GUI structure.
>>

> 'Checking for completeness' is more like it and that would include
> checking for errors of omission, commission, validation et al.
>

>> What kind of UI are we talking about here? Is it just the web interface?
>> Or something else?
>>

> As has already been mentioned, deckard implements a smallish
> representation of this project idea for desktop applications that are built
> using gtk+. It is limited in terms of using manual intervention for the
> final leg of validation.
>
> What I'd suggest is to first navigate around a fully localized desktop
> environment to get a general overview of the comparison factors. Based on
> this the 'translation/localization completeness' can be checked and then
> evaluate whether the possible implementation of the idea (that you may have
> in mind) can be restricted to desktop apps or can be extended to web based
> apps or can be done simultaneously for both.
>
> Runa
>
> --
> http://about.me/runa.bhattacharjee
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Runab

Shaumik Daityari,
Integrated M. Tech. (3rd year),
Geological Technology,
Department of Earth Sciences,
Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee,
Uttarakhand