[Project-ideas] GSoC 2013 Project Idea

Debdutto Chakraborty joy.virus2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 12:37:37 PDT 2013

Hello,

 1. I am Debdutto Chakraborty, currently studying in pre-final year
    B.Tech in Computer Science and engineering from Asansol Engineering
    College. Also, I'm new to this world of open source although I've
    been using Ubuntu & various other Open Sourced software por past 3-4
    years, I had no idea that it was such a huge thing.

 2. I was going through the ideas page and the following two project
    ideas really struck me:

      * *Design and development of a print ready OpenType font for
        Bengali*: Being a Bengali myself, a;though i could speak bengali
        but I learned to read/write the language quite later in life.
        Also I'm familiar with font designing techniques as i created a
        font of my own handwriting using a technique given long back in
        Digit magazine. Although there might be different tools at work
        here, but I'm known to be highly adaptive in such cases.

      * *Add**a language model for speech recognition software for
        Bengali language*: For people like me, who can speak/read fluent
        Bengali but stutter while writing, this kind of software will a
        boon. Although I'm not familiar with how speech recognition
        actually works or how it is built, I'm researching/googling
        everything I can find on the web right now. Also, any help from
        Ankur India will be great

 3. Since I'm in college now, I've classes. Still, i will be able to
    provide around 8-10 hours of work every day. If more time is needed
    I'm always ready to cough up some extra work-hours.

 4. Speaking of commitments I only have my college classes & nothing else.

 5. I've arranged for a unlimited Internet connection, and I'll always
    be on-line on the IRC channels. Therefore, a mentor's presence
    virtually will be of no hindrance. We will be able to communicate
    via mails, IRC, mailing-lists.

 6. Yes, I'm comfortable in English.

Yours Sincerely,
Debdutto Chakraborty