[Project-ideas] GSoC 2013 Project Idea

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 21:00:20 PDT 2013

Hi Debdutto,

Thank you for writing in. Some comments are in-line. I would request
that you ensure that the responses are sent to the list (and, not to
me directly).

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Debdutto Chakraborty
<joy.virus2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am Debdutto Chakraborty, currently studying in pre-final year B.Tech in
> Computer Science and engineering from Asansol Engineering College. Also, I'm
> new to this world of open source although I've been using Ubuntu & various
> other Open Sourced software por past 3-4 years, I had no idea that it was
> such a huge thing.

Yes, it is a sometimes surprise.

> I was going through the ideas page and the following two project ideas
> really struck me:
>
> Design and development of a print ready OpenType font for Bengali: Being a
> Bengali myself, a;though i could speak bengali but I learned to read/write
> the language quite later in life. Also I'm familiar with font designing
> techniques as i created a font of my own handwriting using a technique given
> long back in Digit magazine. Although there might be different tools at work
> here, but I'm known to be highly adaptive in such cases.

It is interesting that you've undertaken this effort. Do you have any
links, documentation or, screenshots of the font? Additionally, are
you familiar with open source software tools used to design fonts?

> Add a language model for speech recognition software for Bengali language:
> For people like me, who can speak/read fluent Bengali but stutter while
> writing, this kind of software will a boon. Although I'm not familiar with
> how speech recognition actually works or how it is built, I'm
> researching/googling everything I can find on the web right now. Also, any
> help from Ankur India will be great

I'd wait for you to respond to what you have found out so far.

> Since I'm in college now, I've classes. Still, i will be able to provide
> around 8-10 hours of work every day. If more time is needed I'm always ready
> to cough up some extra work-hours.

We'll come to that once we - [1] get selected as a mentoring
organization, [2] figure out which of the project holds your interest
and, [3] read your proposal

/sankarshan

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>