[Project-ideas] GSOC 2013 mentorship request

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 23:21:21 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM, saket sinha <saket.sinha89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I clearly understand that what I have proposed is not what your
> organization is looking for.
>  I still insist to look at the project idea from a third person's
> perspective.
>
>  It reads "A method/tool for assessing the coverage of a font in terms of
> glyphs for a language"

I admit that there is a chance of mis-interpretation of a project
idea. Which is one of the reasons during the IRC conversation and, the
conversation on this mailing list that I indicated that you take a
look at how an existing project attempts to solve the problem.

That would perhaps be an indication of what the organization thinks
the end objective of the idea would be.

> Firstly, I took the entire thing with reference to Indian languages.That
> might be a mistake.
>
> Secondly, I just wanted to proof the concept that for Indian scripts a many
> to one - Glyph to Font relation exists. That might also be intresting for
> UTRRS project.

Let me ask again - have you had the time to look at the project?

> Thirdly, as I have mentioned that Linux supports psf file. These are the
> font files recognized by a universally used open source operating system.I
> also mentioned that True Type Font (TTF) format files are available for
> Indian scripts. So I propes a mechanism to convert TTF to PSF as an
> objective to this project.

At this stage I can suggest that you re-write the title of your
proposal. If we are to assess the submitted proposal in alignment with
the title then we have an expectation mis-match. A new title would
obviate this hurdle and, we can thereafter assess whether such a
proposal fits into the focus this year.

Additionally, a proposal needs more detail than what your current
submission has. I have suggested a few improvements, I hope you will
work on them.

> This can be taken as an application of the findings of a project with a name
> "A method/tool for assessing the coverage of a font in terms of glyphs for a
> language". I do not thing there is anything wrong with it or

To repeat - our interpretation of the project title is at odds with
your interpretation. I have clearly explained what we mean by the
title and, what could be the scope. I would leave it to you to decide
how you want to proceed further.

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>