[Project-ideas] GSOC 2013 mentorship request

saket sinha saket.sinha89 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 10:13:45 PDT 2013

Dear Sir,

>>The paper you cite is over a decade old. Much of the "plumbing" of
>>Linux has undergone a bit of change since then.
 I specifically  talk about the console driver which is
in linux/drivers/char/vt.c which has not changed till kernel 3.5.4.I mean
it still behaves with the similar behaviour as described in the reseach
paper. I do not know what you mean by  "Much of the "plumbing" of Linux has
undergone a bit of change since then". Can you cite the part of the kernel
you are referring to.

>>I am not inclined to ask why the kernel should have language keyboard
support
Imagine all the icons on your desktop are in your regional language. All
the commands that you type are in you regional language.
This has a wide implementation in a country like India. Further, if we
support multi language support at the driver level, applications can
directly inherit these scripts. Imagine applications like Whatsapp in your
regional languages.

Regards,
Saket Sinha