[Project-ideas] GSOC 2013 mentorship request

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 08:04:25 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 7:43 PM, saket sinha <saket.sinha89 at gmail.com> wrote:

>      I am interested in applying in GSOC 2013 with  the project idea "A
> method/tool for assessing the coverage of a font in terms of glyphs for a
> language"

If <https://github.com/ankur-india/ankur-india/wiki/Project-Ideas#a-methodtool-for-assessing-the-coverage-of-a-font-in-terms-of-glyphs-for-a-language>
is what you indicated, I'd like to know if there are specific aspects
you'd want to get clarified.

> I am working on a similar project , the details of which I am listing below-
>
> BOSS-MOOL- A Joint Initiative of DOS Lab IIT Madras and CDAC Chennai
>
> WEBSITE-http://dos.iitm.ac.in/projects/MOOL
>
> GUIDE: Prof. D. Janakiram
>
> DISCRIPTION- In GNU/LINUX operating system, support for the Indian text
> processing is being implemented. The application programming would be
> simpler if  the application can inherit support from the drivers. For this,
> OOPS is being implemented in the kernel drivers. The displayed shapes for
> any script is  from the glyphs in a font.  Kernel, at present, supports 1:1
> mapping of glyphs and characters but for Indian scripts 1: Many mapping has
> to be implemented.

I am not sure I follow the description provided by you, I'll check it
up. Meanwhile, could you check the UTRRS project?

> As it is clearly seen I have prior experience of working on a similar kind
> of work, that is why I am keen of contributing to this project.
>

> If somebody volunteer to mentor me, I shall really be grateful.

You would be required to use the Melange system to submit a proposal
before a mentor chimes up.

/sankarshan