[Project-ideas] About the project on print ready OpenType font for Bengali GSoC2013

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 16:55:33 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 4:01 AM, Tanbin Islam Siyam <potasiyam at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. About the design: The description says, 'The proposal requires the design
> and development of an OpenType font for Bengali'. In my opinion the design
> is the most creative part of a font which requires expertise in typography
> and calligraphy. I can design typefaces as I experienced from my font
> projects. But as a student of Computer Engineering I have more expertise in
> technical parts. My question is, how the design will be judged to be right
> for this project?

We intend to allow the the designer to come up with documentation that
explains the design choices made. And, if and when the other project
to test the aesthetic quality of the font is ready, the font would be
validated.

> 2. About the tools: I have used Fontlab Studio, Font creator, Fontforge and
> VOLT for previous font projects. And I am also a mid-level Linux user. Do
> you have a preference for some particular tools this project?

We prefer that you use tools that allow you to release fonts and
glyphs under a libre license. If your tool(s) allow that, then it is a
decision you'd have to take.

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>