[Project-ideas] About the project on print ready OpenType font for Bengali GSoC2013

Tanbin Islam Siyam potasiyam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 15:31:48 PDT 2013

jgjh
Hello,
I am Tanbin Islam Siyam, studying final semester of B.Sc. in Computer
Science and Engineering in Khulna University of Engineering and Technology,
Khulna, Bangladesh. I have volunteered in several Bengali font projects.
These are my own and widely popular font projects for Avro Keyboard (
http://www.omicronlab.com)-
*    Siyam Rupali     - https://github.com/potasiyam/Siyam-Rupali
*    Kalpurush         - https://github.com/potasiyam/Kalpurush

Siyam Rupali is also being used in Bengali Wikipedia as web font.
Recently I worked on the Amar Bornomala Font project as a developer. This
project was a joint collaboration of Bangla Academy, Access to Information
and Department of Graphics Design, University of Dhaka. Project url-
http://www.amarbornomala.gov.bd/fonts/details/1

I found the project "Design and development of a print ready OpenType font
for Bengali" really interesting and it matches my skills. I am Interested
to apply for GSoC2013 to work on this project. But I need some more
information to better understand the project.

1. About the design: The description says, 'The proposal requires the
design and development of an OpenType font for Bengali'. In my opinion the
design is the most creative part of a font which requires expertise in
typography and calligraphy. I can design typefaces as I experienced from my
font projects. But as a student of Computer Engineering I have more
expertise in technical parts. My question is, how the design will be judged
to be right for this project?

2. About the tools: I have used Fontlab Studio, Font creator, Fontforge and
VOLT for previous font projects. And I am also a mid-level Linux user. Do
you have a preference for some particular tools this project?

I have planned and started writing up my proposal. It would be great if you
could help me to understand the project clearly so I can finish my
proposal. Hope to have some chat on IRC while writing the proposal.

Regards,
--
Tanbin Islam Siyam
potasiyam.wordpress.com | potasiyam.deviantart.com |