[Project-ideas] Application for GSoc 2013

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 07:19:22 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM, shashank chakravarthy
<shashank.chakravarthy at gmail.com> wrote:

> . I looked at the project, " A method/tool for validating the aesthetic
> characteristics of an OpenType font Indian Scripts".
> As to why I'm planning to apply for the same is that I have an interest in
> various writing styles. Have done some research for the same. My native
> tongue is Kannada, Tamil( I can work with) and a little touch of Hindi.
>
> If anyone could guide me with respect to this project and what I should be
> doing, it would be of great help.

You may be aware that there is a dearth of good quality OpenType fonts
for Indian languages. Especially print ready fonts, but that is a
separate issue.

The objective of this project is to be able to develop a tool which
can qualitatively evaluate an OpenType font for Indian languages
against desired characteristics. As regards to the "desired
characteristics", I'd leave it at first to the interested student to
propose what they could be.

To start things off, I'd recommend that you read the OpenType specification.

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>