[Project-ideas] My Introduction for GSoC 2012

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 01:53:20 PDT 2012

[your reply ended up directed to me, I've added the ideas list in
again to ensure that the conversation continues]

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Rishi Mukherjee
<thethunder666 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that the project is about an application which checks for
> consistency in the translation in the graphical user interface. After the
> completion of the project the user will be able to test if his/her
> application gives correct results on different inputs. It checks if
> translation of language is correct. I read on the internet about different
> GUI testing tools
> here http://pycheesecake.org/wiki/PythonTestingToolsTaxonomy#GUITestingTools.
> This also made me realize that there are no good GUI testing tools with
> python, for the perfect work.

The thrust of the idea is more on ensuring that the translated UI is
complete and, provides a desirable user experience. For example, among
the kinds of errors that can develop on the interface, the following
are more common:

- specific buttons or, elements remain untranslated
- dialog boxes end up contravening interface guidelines for the application

The project could assess existing test frameworks and figure ways to
improve/extend upon them or, think of a new of accomplishing this
objective.

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>