[Project-ideas] [Anubad] GSoc 2012 introduction

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 03:07:42 PDT 2012

Hi Shubhankit,

The list to discuss project ideas is project-ideas at lists.ankur.org.in
Please ensure that you are subscribed to the list so as to continue
the conversation.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Shubhankit Mohan <shubhankit1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am Shubhankit Mohan, a 4th year engineering undergraduate student at IIT
> Kharagpur.Being honest I am new to Open Source Development and I have never
> worked on any open source project before.I liked Ankur India as I have
> immense interest in coding/ algorithms and it's mission to improve the
> usage of bengali language in open souce projects.I have both a good
> programming background and a good mathematics background. I've worked in a
> number of programming languages including Python,C++ and Java.
>
> After looking at the suggested projects list I have found two projects to
> be especially interesting.
>
> Idea 1: Improve the accuracy of OCR tools for Bengali language to 98%
> I have looked closely at it and was wondering what parts of the code might
> be relevant to look at, and any prior work there may have been on this or
> what literature might be relevant for the second step of the project.
>
> Idea 2: Develop a system with multi-lingual capabilities in order to
> receive answer to user specific queries.
>
> I want to know what portion of work has currently been done and if the
> respective mentors could provide relevant literature and models present.
>
> I have no experience in open-source projects, but I really want to get into
> it and contribute my part in it.My studies end on May 10th , so from the
> very beginning of the summer I can fully devote myself to the project.I
> work on Mac OS X Lion and Win 7.

The idea list page has, what can be called a problem statement. The
expectation from an interested candidate is that they will be
undertaking some preliminary research to understand the domain of the
problem, assess what is currently available or, what can be extended,
prepare a first draft proposal for discussion and, use the time till
26Mar2012 to get their doubts clarified. The archives of the
project-ideas mailing list will demonstrate that other candidates have
asked questions which are relevant or, may be similar to what you have
in mind. And, these have received responses. It would be a good place
to start.

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>