[Project-ideas] [Anubad] New Visual Keyboard for Bengali

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 00:23:01 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Biraj Karmakar
<biraj at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I am Biraj Karmakar , currently a Second -year B.Tech (Computer
> Science) student of Dr . B.C. Roy Engineering College,Durgapur.I would like to
> participate in this year's Google Summer of Code program. I found the
> idea of New Visual Keyboard for Bengali . I have read the project idea
> as it was given on the
> ideas page . Some points I did not get "The popular keyboard layouts
> in use for Bengali follow a non-visual style of typing".Please tell me
>  which programming language should preferably be used to implement
> this . I know bengali as well as english. It'll be most helpful if you
> could help me with identifying these doubts.I really want to take part
> in GSoc 2012.

The list to discuss ideas from the GSoC list is project-ideas and I've
copied this reply to that list. Please subscribe and continue the
conversation there.

I'm copying over a response from Runa to a similar query.

I am assuming here that you are familiar with the writing system of
Bengali. Unlike the way in which it is written on paper, popular input
methods require that the characters be typed in a non-visual way. For
instance, while on paper one would write কি in the following sequence:
ি ক , using an input method the sequence changes to ক ি . The
rendering engine then converts this key sequence to কি . The visual
keyboard would replicate this typing method. The aim is to then make
it available to input method systems like IBus.

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>