[Anubad] [GSOC 2012] An application UI testing framework for validating translation completeness and quality

Sanket Agarwal sanket at sanketagarwal.com
Sun Mar 18 05:41:31 PDT 2012

Hi Sankarshan,
On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sanket,
>
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Sanket Agarwal
> <sanket at sanketagarwal.com> wrote:
> Nice to know that you find some of our ideas interesting. I'll chime
> in partially since Runa was explaining bit of the idea to me. I'll
> leave the rest for her to provide pointers to.
>
> The basic premise of the idea is to be able to come up with a test
> framework and, an easy way to write test cases to determine
> completeness and quality of translations.
>
> Completeness is defined as when all the possible strings within a
> known application, as seen from the GUI appear translated. So, for
> example, if you take an application like Firefox, say, how do you
> figure out that the GUI bits of the application will have every
> translatable element in the local language ? Additionally, there is a
> need to figure out if, during translation, the UI element underwent
> distortion from the original thus leading to unpleasant user
> experience.
>
> Quality is defined as to whether the strings adhere to the known
> terminology/styles.
>
>> * Currently when you do translation (for say a software or a website
>> etc), do you do it without any specific tool ? Because I could not
>> find any proper code hosted at your website. Or maybe I missed it,
>> please help me with links if there are :-)
>
> Translators use offline tools like Lokalize, Virtaal or, online ones
> like Pootle, Zanata or, Transifex.
Okay, if these translators work as tools -- what specific features do
they lack out. I just tried Virtaal and it does not seem to have *too
many features* to check coverage or quality. It'll be better if we
could decide what all are required and not provided by the
aforementioned softwares, else it'll just be reinventing the wheel :-)

> I think Runa would be best suited to respond to your other queries.
Yep, I'll wait for her replies.

Cheers
--Sanket