[Project-ideas] Enhancing the grammar checker

Aditi Bhatnagar aditi24.bhatnagar at gmail.com
Thu May 9 12:41:58 PDT 2013

Hi!

I would be glad if you can give me reviews for the idea.

Most of the people, when they write any document wants it to
be grammatically error proof. Grammatical errors leave a negative  impact
about the sender on the reader of the document. Thus users really desire
that there should be some mechanism so that their grammatical mistakes are
identified and corrected.
Though Libre Office has incorporated grammar checks, these are ineffective
and check basic mistakes viz repetition of words etc, it is unable to check
correct usage of tenses, verbs etc.Since grammar of a language is something
that is well defined, the grammatical concepts can be coded so as to reduce
human efforts to identify mistakes.
What I specifically wish to do is to add a new button to libre office named
grammar checker, whenever the user clicks on that, the grammatically
correct copy of the selected text is generated.
I don't wish to keep it as an auto-correct option since high sensitivity of
grammar checks has always been a problem and can irritate the  user. So
whenever user feels like rectifying the document , he/she will click on the
button.

What are your suggestions related to this? I wish to incorporate this
feature with different kinds of text editor or office kind of software, do
you think JAVA would be good choice to code this into?

Regards,
Aditi