[Project-ideas] Application for GSoc 2013

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 09:02:24 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM, shashank chakravarthy
<shashank.chakravarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On what basis will the standard be set? Based on the real time script?
> Then if i am on the right track, we'll have to create a font using someother
> tool and keep that as a standard? And also in the project ideas, it states
> that understanding of a mobile platform is required.
> Can you elaborate?

I could, but that would mean that I'll be doing the homework :) Here's
a hint - the OpenType specification provides a somewhat reasonable
amount of detail of what an ideal font should possess as
characteristics.

The idea is not to create a baseline reference font and compare
everything against the baseline. Considering the number of Indian
scripts to cover, a baseline would be awkward. What is however
expected is to be able to create a modular system which can accept a
font-under-test, examine it based on certain qualitative aspects and
provide a score/ranking (which in turn can be translated into
something that is easily understandable).

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>