[Project-ideas] GSoc 2013

Bhavani Shankar R bhavi at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 18 07:43:43 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM, shashank chakravarthy
<shashank.chakravarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bhavani,
>
> I am a third year engineering student in Computer Science. I was looking
> through the project ideas of ankur.org.in and found this interesting. "A
> method/tool for validating the aesthetic characteristics of an OpenType font
> for Indian scripts".
>
> I googled around for aesthetic characteristics and found about the ascent,
> descent, leading and such characteristics. But i'm unable to get the
> detailed prerequisites for this project.
>

> Lookign forward to your reply.

Hi Shashank,

Thanks for writing to us. I think the project idea listed in the ideas
page has a description of the prerequisites:

This project would require an understanding and awareness of the
defining characteristics of a font, an understanding of the OpenType
specification and, preferably, an understanding of mobile and web
platforms. Additionally, this would require familiarity with at least
one Indian language script in order to implement a prototype and
demonstrate feasibility of the implementation.

Further from the website:

The application template which you will be provided will have the
following points:

-   self introduction (courses attending etc)
-   what is the scope of the proposal? (especially what is outside the scope)
-   familiarity with the tools, infrastructure and concepts of the project?
-   how many hours per work will you be able to commit to your project?
-   do you want to inform the project about any other commitments you have?
-   how will you adjust to a mentor who will be virtually present?
-   are you comfortable in English?

Also, request you to subscribe to the project-ideas list (marked in
cc) so that other mentors can also look at your proposal

Regards,
--
Bhavani Shankar
Ubuntu Developer       |  www.ubuntu.com