[Project-ideas] Interested in the Idea: Terminology Query Dashboard

vedant agarwala vedant.kota at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 05:39:53 PDT 2013

Hello,
I am interested the Terminology Query
Dashboard<https://github.com/ankur-india/ankur-india/wiki/Project-Ideas#terminology-query-dashboard>
idea.
>From the idea page I understand what the project demands but on an abstract
level:

   - A database will store original content, which will be mapped with
   translations in other languages complete with references to the origins of
   terminology context (A SQL database seems apt).
   - The "dashboard" will be a abstraction for the translators. It will
   provide visualized content to query for terminology references. The
   dashboard's back-end will handle the queries to the database and provide
   the results to the front-end.
   - The dashboard will be flexible and automated, allowing
   cross-referencing. The front-end will provide translators
   an interactive system by which they can suggest modifications to the
   content. For security and consistency, only those translators with a "admin
   account" can make actual changes to the underlying database.
   - The query system of this dashboard (i.e. the functionality of the
   back-end) will be available to other translation systems via an API.

I request you to correct me where ever I may be wrong and/or provide me
with suggestions on what is to be done after this, especially which
programming language is to be used. After this I will make a more concrete
proposal to this interesting project.

*About Me:* I am currently in my second undergraduate year in National
Institute of Technology, Durgapur, India, studying Computer Science and
Engineering. I have experience coding experience with C/C++ (especially the
Qt framework), Java (including Android and making GUI using Java swing) and
web services. I have submitted 3 patches to KDE and 2 more are under review.

I’m sure working with a mentor who is virtually present won’t be a problem.
But if it is possible, meeting a mentor face to face will obviously be much
more helpful. I have worked with my college seniors in this fashion who
have introduced me to Linux and Open-Source. Tirtha Chaterjee <
tirtha.p.chatterjee at gmail.com> is one of them and has done a GSoC under
Ankur India last year. Countless times I have been to his room for advice
and to solve my problems.

Thanking you in advance.