[Project-ideas] GSoC Project Idea: Validation of translated strings

Abu Ashraf Masnun masnun at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 12:59:27 PDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

I am Masnun from Bangladesh. I am doing my graduation in business
administration from Khulna University. I was looking at project ideas for
GSoC 2013 and I found the idea of validating translated string based on
style guides quite interesting.

Before I dive into the project related discussions, here's a little bit
about me. I have always tried my best to remain involved in the local open
source community over the years. I am volunteering as a moderator in the
local PHP [1], Python [2] and Linux [3] user groups. I have presented talks
to national conferences [4] and I maintain some very small scale projects
on Github [5]. I have recently started offering free Python lessons to
interested students. At my leisure, I sometimes do screencasts to help
others in learning stuff [6]. I have also collaborated with Ankur
Bangladesh in the translation of "Snake Wrangling for Kids" [7]. You can
look me up on LinkedIn [8] or have a look at my blog [9]. Since I have made
some small contributions in different areas, I thought I should try
something bigger this time. With GSoC, I found a decent opportunity to do
that.

Now regarding the project idea, the particular project I am interested in
is - "A validation system for translated strings based upon Translation
Style Guides of language communities." I have gone through the mailing list
archive of 2013 so far trying to get the basic idea about the project. From
the mailing list, it does look like a relatively less discussed/mentioned
project to me. From what I understood, the project involves creating an
automated system that evaluates translated strings against community
specified style guides (some sort of guides or rules which define how a
correct translation should be done). As a starter this is what I am going
to do now -

# Find out more about style guides.
# Check out the translation procedure for at least two large open source
projects (Mozilla and WordPress could be good choices).
# Learn more about .po and .mo files.
# Learn more about localization and internationalization.
# Find and talk to some local people who are actively contributing to such
translation projects to get the real life scenario.

I also look forward to having some random chats about the project idea on
the IRC channel if I can manage to catch you guys sometimes.

I shall follow up with my findings and ideas so that you people can help me
better understand the project and improve any thoughts I might come up
with.

Regards,
Masnun