[Project-ideas] Hello List.. This is Bhavani Shankar a ubuntu developer and a debian contributor interested in mentoring for a gsoc idea

Bhavani Shankar R bhavi at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 9 07:26:52 PDT 2013

Dear List,

As discussed on the IRC,

I just happened to come across your site and was very impressed with
the work you are  doing and I am interestedto help out as a mentor for your
GSoC ideas A validation system for translated strings based upon
Translation Style Guides of language communities. I have worked a fair
bit with rosetta on launchpad and few other tools but most of them
require manual intervention as our dialects differ and writing styles
differ esp wrt indic languages I think and secondly Speech based query
and result retrieval system for Indian languages, would love to have
this in ubuntu/debian repositories esp as it helps people like me who
are disabled to have the indic touch to accessibility and I have used
voxforge a fair bit.

Here are my contributions to the opensource world in brief:

Have been contributing to ubuntu linux community in various capacities
as a developer, board member, former forums moderator, kannada
translator and bug triage.

Have uploaded around 1600 packages uploaded),Patching packages and
programs, Debian style packaging,kernel patching, maintenance of
packages, Scientific and engineering related packages quality
assurance

(For my QA and devel  work in ubuntu please refer:
https://edge.launchpad.net/~bhavi/+related-software)

Having exposure of being a forum expert (Have answered around 4000
questions on the Launchpad forums)

(For my forum work in ubuntu please refer:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/~bhavi)

>From the past 1.5 years attended the Ubuntu Developer Summit for
Ubuntu Precise Pangolin
Release at Orlando Florida past year in October /November 2011 and
Ubuntu Developer Summit for Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal release in Oakland
CA in May 2012 and Ubuntu Developer  Summit -R in Copenhagen Denmark
in October/November 2012 on sponsored invite.

Serving on the Application Review Board in Ubuntu from October 2011
(https://launchpad.net/~app-review-board/+members#active) which is the
governance board for letting apps in ubuntu through the ubuntu
software center

For my recent app review work in ubuntu please see:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/app-review-board/2012-August/author.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/app-review-board/2012-September/author.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/app-review-board/2012-October/author.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/app-review-board/2012-November/author.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/app-review-board/2012-December/author.html

Now working towards automating app review process in ubuntu
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppDevUploadProcess where I integrated the app
review board compliance checks into lintian (the default standards
compliance tool in debian and ubuntu) Package here:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-app-review-contributors/+archive/ppa/+packages

Served as a jury panel member in last year's app developer showdown in
ubuntu http://developer.ubuntu.com/showdown/ where I reviewed and
voted on 133 apps in a week.http://developer.ubuntu.com/showdown/apps/

(Most of them were python and quickly IDE apps)

Serving as a local community council member which is the governance
council for localised activities in ubuntu (See my election
announcement here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2012-October/001662.html)

Serving as a part of the developer advisory team in ubuntu where we
reach out to interested people and make an effort to turn them into
linux contributors/developers

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-developer-advisory-team/+members#active

Frequent speaker on ubuntu/debian/foss through video
conferencing/on the IRC (Internet relay chat) few links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PBOsvkq-Nxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXXyDN0CAJ0&feature=relmfu

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/01/29/%23ubuntu-classroom.html#t17:00

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/01/30/%23ubuntu-classroom.html#t16:00

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1208/DevAdvisoryTeam

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1201/UpstreamVersionUpdate

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1201/WritingCrispChangelogs

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1107/MergingFromDebian

Long standing contributor to MOTU Science

https://edge.launchpad.net/~motuscience/+members#active

maintainer of mobile-broadband-provider-info in debian
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=mobile-broadband-provider-info
which enables hot-plugging and automatic detection and configuration
of subscribed network when a usb stick broadband modem is plugged
in.(Functions as an addon to network manager through a wireless
network database which has various International networks support) It
has around 50k users around the world in debian and roughly the same
in ubuntu as it gets copied into ubuntu repos from debian

http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=mobile-broadband-provider-info

I live in Bangalore and will be available on evening times IST for any queries.

Looking forward to hearing from you and working along with you in the
great job you are doing

India FTW!

Regards,

--