[Project-ideas] [Anubad] Glossary Tool to index available strings

Arani Bhattacharya arani89 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:38:51 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Arani Bhattacharya <arani89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This week I tried to get familiar with virtaal and Pootle. I also got
>> familiar with using the Bengali prabhat layout. What I also discovered
>> was that we already have a fairly large collection of Bengali words in
>> the central Pootle server that can be used.
>
> In the context of an aid to translation, glossaries currently form the
> following functions:
>
> - provide a standardized set of term translations 1:1 mapping
> - provide a readily available way to categorize translated terms
>
> What they don't really do is evolve. Any
> addition/modification/revision to a glossary requires human
> intervention. Which means that there is a lesser chance of a large
> glossary to keep improving.

Thank you for your feedback. After some introspection and discussion,
I felt that we can find a solution in the following way. First, we
will have an index of words on some server. The user, while entering
some text, can copy some word to the clipboard, and then by clicking
some icon can check if the spelling is correct and, if wrong, then
obtain suggestions (which will be obtained from central server). In
case the user is convinced that his/her spelling is correct, but it is
not present on the central server, the user can add this word to the
central server's dictionary. On the server, a group of approved people
can, whenever convenient, check what words have been added, and either
approve or reject them one by one.

One possible problem with this solution is that using the application
might be too cumbersome for the user (with the method specified
above). First, the user has to copy the text, and only then can he/she
use the application (in my opinion, monitoring what the user is typing
raises too many security issues) by clicking on some icon present. I
would be grateful if someone could suggest a simpler use-case.

I would be grateful for the community's comments on this idea.

With regards,
Arani