[Project-ideas] Bengali keyboard layout for mobile devices

Chinmay Dabral chinmay.kai at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 09:12:42 PDT 2012

Hi,

At this point I have a working Android InScript layout keyboard, and I have
a working knowledge of how an IME works in Android.
Next up should be figuring out how to integrate Indic typing booster into
the IME (or write such a system myself), and also how to further customize
KeyboardView to listen to gestures, etc.

But before that, I'd like to have a better idea of what is expected of me
in this project:

1- The project says "The proposal involves creating a keyboard layout for
easy and efficient entry of Bengali text on such devices."
So, for example:
- There should be less keys, but they should be bigger and easy-to-hit.
- The arrangement of the keys should be such that the most common words can
be entered easily and quickly
- The keyboard should make use of gestures, etc. to reduce the number of
onscreen keys.
Am I thinking in the right direction here?

2- The project says "The layout should also enable gathering of user
feedback and usage model so as to allow improvements."
So, for example, the keyboard should report back:
- The typing speed of the users
- Pauses between keystrokes
- Accidental and wrong keystrokes
- Accuracy of predictions
Based on the above data I'm expected to tweak the keyboard for more
efficient text entry.
Again, is this the right direction to be thinking in?

So a potential keyboard could look something like this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/feI_3lplbIL48_7P4isZ7FBo0-UkUYGi74FwL7GNJM8?feat=directlink
(ignore the Latin alphabet in the background)
Which would allow users to input a consonant and a vowel in one gesture, by
swiping in different directions starting from the desired consonant key.

Thanks,
Chinmaya Dabral