[Project-ideas] Project Proposal ideas

nitesh surtani nitesh.surtani0606 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 02:30:08 PDT 2012

Hello,

      I am Nitesh Surtani, a 4th year dual-degree student from
IIIT-Hyderabad. I am pursuing my MS in Natural Language Processing. I have
been working on language processing for around 2 years now and I am well
equipped with many tools and concepts in this field. Though I am not very
familiar with localization and internationalization, as I have not worked
on it now, but I am very much interested in working on such a project. I
have good programming skills.

I will be able to commit 6 hrs/day or around 40hrs/wk for the project.

Relevant Courses Completed:

NLP: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Natural Language
Processing, NLP Applications: IE and MT, Computational Linguistics, Pattern
Recognition, Time and Event in Discourse.

Programming: C, C++, Java, Python, Php

I am also attaching my resume for further reference.

Projects Interested In:

1) An application UI testing framework for validating translation
completeness and quality

Mentor: Runa Bhattacharjee <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Runab>

Though I am not very familiar will l10n, but I am very keen to explore this
project. I have looked into the localization of a couple of software in
Hindi (I wasn’t able to understand the UI in Bengali J). I have gone
through the translations for Pidgin for Hindi (
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/11411) and have understood few issues. I
have a doubt though: Since I am not a Bengali speaker, will it affect my
understanding and working on this project.

2) Add a language model for speech recognition software for Bengali language

Mentor: Sayamindu Dasgupta <http://www.mit.edu/~sdg1/>

I actually wanted some more insight regarding this project. Since the
corpus is available, some HMM modeI (like HTK toolkit, usually used for
speech recognition) can be used to implement this language model. I have
used SRILM toolkit once for MT task as part of the course project to
develop a domain-specific MT system for tourism domain.

Thanks a lot,

Nitesh Surtani