[Project-ideas] gsoc 2012 project idea---A Glossary Tool to index all available localizable strings for Bengali across various FOSS projects and, other available corpus

Runa Bhattacharjee runabh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 03:48:31 PDT 2012

On শনিবার 24 মার্চ 2012 12:46 পূর্বাহ্ণ, Subhobrata Dey wrote:
> Well,i did study the input strings for translation tools like lokalize.It
> uses a glossary(i think this is the one that this project aims to build) to
> translate the input string into the language mentioned. It uses
> paragraph-by-paragraph translation.What i found out is that lokalize can
> directly substitute a particular part of the input sentence in native
> language.Are you talking about these approaches taken by common translation
> tools like lokalizeor something else??If so,i feel my approach can work
> better.Or else the lokalize algorithm can be used.Can you please elaborate??

Subhobratha, First up .. breathe. :)

You are looking at source code and documentation of the tools and connecting it
all to automatic machine translation. I suggest that you re-read my last
suggestion once again and check the actual files that *are translated* using
tools like lokalize. Technical Translation i.e. translation of software user
interfaces messages needs to deal with language and terminology that are quite
different. Perhaps you can look around the GNOME UI messages right here:

http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/bn_IN/

regards
Runa

--