[Project-ideas] Project Proposal ideas

nitesh surtani nitesh.surtani0606 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 03:33:40 PDT 2012

Hello,

       I was looking for UI testing tools, but couldn’t find any for
linguistic testing. Can you list few UI testing framework for linguistic
testing.

 I have a related doubt for the project “An application UI testing
framework for validating translation completeness and quality”. I want to
know whether an approach similar to Qt Linguist (summarized below) can be
used for this project.

Qt Linguist maintains a context list which stores the translation status
for each context (classes). Each context has one of the four status of
whether all strings in that context have been translated or not and whether
they have passed the validation test or not.

Now, each string passes four kinds of validation tests: Accelerator
validation, Punctuation validation, Phrases validation and Place marker
validation. So, the context list helps in maintaining a record of the
translation completeness and quality (through validation tests).

I also need some feedback on features of localization tools, which I am
mentioning below. Please correct me or add if I am missing something.

I have looked into few of localization tools including gettext,
Gtranslator, Lokalize, Virtaal and Qt Linguist. Though most of the features
are common among all the localization tools (with slight variation in their
usuability), couple of them offer remarkable features.

·     Lokalize has some features like: Sync capabilities, Project Overview
manager, is extendible (using scripts), Glossary, and also has a good
interface. The paragraph-by-paragraph translation for documentation and
msg-by-msg translation for GUI msgs is a good approach.

·    Virtaal on the otherhand also has some cool features like
Auto-completion and auto-correction. Its translation memory uses Machine
translation through Apertium, Google Translate and Moses.

·     Qt Linguist also has many great features Phrase book (Glossary),
simultaneous multiple language translation (though not required) and
powerful completeness validation scheme, but it is restricted to Qt
applications (ts file).

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Nitesh Surtani