[Project-ideas] GSOC OCR

Soumajit Pramanik soumajit.pramanik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:20:58 PDT 2012

Respected Sir/madam,

                      I am Soumajit Pramanik, a M.Tech Computer Sc student.
I had talked to you earlier. Sorry for replying late.
                      I am interested in the OCR project. As I have
mentioned earlier, I have some basic knowledge about character recognition
using neural network. During last 4-5 days I discussed with my teachers and
got some some more ideas.
                      Basically I think I have to first learn well the
techniques for OCR used by the open source tools. I have to understand why
this tools are unable to achieve very high accuracy. If I can do that, the
very next thing will be to decide what extra features I have to add or how
to scan the letters more accurately. Then I have to use a good machine
learning algorithm(neural n/w or svm or something more appropriate). Though
achieving high accuracy like 98% will be very challenging, I do not think
it is unachievable.
                       Now, what should I do next??

Soumajit Pramanik