[Project-ideas] New Visual Keyboard for Bengali

Jeh Agarwal jeh.agarwal at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 22:17:05 PDT 2012

Hi

I am interested in working with ankur.org.in for my GSoc Project. I went
through the listed projects and am interested in "New Visual Keyboard for
Bengali". My birth place being Kolkata I am fluent in Bengali and also
familiar with the bengali script. I am willing to take up this project full
time and satisfy all learning prerequisites.  I will be having a 3 month
summer vacation and I think I can complete the project within the
stipulated time. Please tell me more about this project.

As of now I went through Sayamindu Dasgupta's guide "Converting a legacy
ASCII based Indic font to an Unicode compliant Open Type Font". I got a
clear understanding of how fonts are made and how they work. The way GSUB
and GPOS tables are created for substituion and positioning. Please correct
me if I am wrong. The main thing that is required for the visual ordering
of bengali font is in the way how the rendering engine works. Do you want
to develop for any particular engine or all rendering engines in general?
please guide me further on this so I can proceed with this project. Kindly
also mention any tool or technology that is required.

--

Regards,

Jeh K Agarwal
B.Tech (3rd year)
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli.