[Project-ideas] [Anubad] Glossary Tool to index available strings

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 21:28:40 PDT 2012

Hi,

We've recently formed a new list to discuss the project ideas. I've
copied that on this email, I'd request you to subscribe to the list as
well. The subscription interface details are at
<https://plus.google.com/b/111332687752284580880/111332687752284580880/posts/3ziPwcKomXD>

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Arani Bhattacharya <arani89 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am Arani Bhattacharya, currently a first-year M.Tech (Computer
> Science) student of Indian Statistical Institute. I would like to
> participate in this year's Google Summer of Code program. I found the
> idea of creating a glossary tool to ensure consistent translation to
> be interesting. I would be grateful if someone could kindly clarify my
> doubts on this matter:

I'll ask Runa to add more in her response to your queries. I'll add a
few initial details to get started.

> 1) As pointed out, one of the major initial tasks is to study any
> existing glossary, and analyze its working, advantages and
> disadvantages. Could someone point me to some existing tool?

Translators use tools like lokalize, virtaal or, online tools like
Pootle, Zanata, Transifex. All these tools allow addition of a
glossary file to the translation memory in order to aid in enhancement
of translation. One aspect of the project idea is that while the
translation tools do their best to ensure consistency during the
"translation activity", this specific tool will be of aid as a
reviewer tool as well as will continue to keep itself updated and
corrected with the various upstream repositories of content.

> 2) Which programming language should preferably be used to implement the tool?

We do not have any specific preference for a programming language. A
language/framework in which you are comfortable and have high
confidence in achieving the objective of your proposal would suffice.
The initial idea on the page is a problem statement. What we are
looking forward to is a proposal which indicates that you have thought
about the project, have assessed the path you'd want to take and are
now in the phase of initiating a conversation.

> Apart from the above technical issues, there is one other issue that I
> would like to clarify:
>
> 1) Our institute has a 10-week window for pursuing internships. This
> period ends on 24th July. This is about 25 days before the final
> submission date given on Summer of Code's website. Is this likely to
> create any problems?

I can see two ways out of the situation - one where you follow the
GSoC schedule and work with your university to figure a proper way to
handle the mismatch of nearly a working month. The other is where you
follow the schedule of the university but you end up exerting more
effort because you will not be able to continue to work for around 25
days (ie. you get 25 days less than everybody, if selected).

I'd say that you are best placed to make a choice on that matter.

/sankarshan

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>