[Project-ideas] [README] The critical mid-term deliverable

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 18:21:34 PDT 2012

As the students who have put in the proposals may have noticed, my
first comment is generally about the mid-term deliverable. Please be
precise and exact on that. As much as you can. The mid-term state is a
health check for the proposal - if the status returned is bad, the
project will be stopped. As harsh as it might sound, it benefits the
organization in the long run.

So, I'd like to see in your proposal the need to have an exact
deliverable for mid term. *What is it which, if unavailable, will tell
us that you have veered off course ?*

Here's another way of asking it - you are planning a long road trip by
car - what is the critical aspect which, if absent, will derail all
your plans ?

Think about this and appropriately insert this critical piece.

On behalf of the organization I'd have to say that we are fortunate to
see a good number of strong proposals. These, when converted into
achievements are going to be very useful and valuable in terms of
original work done for language computing. I'd request that the
candidates set the baseline expectation from their proposal in a
manner that it demands their best, not that they want to get passing
grade. If passing grade is all that you desire, I am sorry to say,
your proposal will not make the cut.

We are a first time organization. So, please take a look at
<https://plus.google.com/b/111332687752284580880/111332687752284580880/posts/MxepmYkyyG2>
and especially #6.

Student Application Deadline: April 06 at 19:00 UTC - so stay on track
and close strong ! That's the table stakes in this play.

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>