[Anubad] [GSOC 12]Project Ideas for New Keyboard layout

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 05:04:24 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:41 AM, sharad dixit <sharad.eminence at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very true Sankarshan, It's fairly annoying many indian laguage keyboard
> doesn't take advantage
> of the screen real estate .In addition  to above requirement i am thinking
> some more feature's  like :
>
>   - Longpress enter to access smileys, and longpress other buttons for
>   accented letters, numbers and symbols
>   - Select a base letter, slide across the popup keyboard to select and
>   input the desired character.
>   - For physically handicapped ,Bangla Phonetic Keyboard option
>   - Accurate and precise Bangla word suggestions

These are good additions to the initial idea. Keep them coming.

I'd also like to point out that this is the time when you should also
be looking at the available keyboard layouts for Bengali and input
method on Android along with the commonly used keyboard layouts from
those available on other operating systems. This would allow you to
think along the times of contrasting your idea with those available in
order to come up with optimization solutions. Bengali and other Indian
languages have a finite, if lengthy, set of valid conjuncts and you'd
need to factor that in as well.

Meanwhile, keep an eye on the timeline as linked from the GSoC 2012 page.

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>