[Anubad] GSOC - New keyboard layout specific to input on mobile devices

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 07:53:35 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Jeh Agarwal <jeh.agarwal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am interested in working with ankur.org.in for my GSoc Project. I went
> through the listed projects and am interested in "New keyboard layout
> specific to input on mobile devices". My birth place being Kolkata I am
> fluent in Bengali and I am willing to take up this project full time and
> satisfy all learning prerequisites.  I will be having a 3 month summer
> vacation and I think I can complete the project within the stipulated time.
> I have experience with Android development and am actively involved in
> organising Android workshops in my college as a member of Google Technology
> Users Group-NIT Trichy (GTUG-NITT).
>
> Please tell me more about this project and how to proceed with it. Kindly
> also tell me if there is a forum or IRC channel where we can discuss more on
> this project.

Our IRC channel is mentioned on the page #ankur.org.in at
irc.freenode.net. I've copied the discussion list and perhaps you
should subscribe to the list as well.

With the roll out of ICS, Indic support on Android devices both
handhelds and slates/tablets is now available. However, the currently
available keyboard layouts are a throwback to the days where an actual
QWERTY keyboard (hardware keyboard) is attached to the system. The
objective is to come up with a new layout which would make use of
optimal number of keystrokes, should be easy to use and should be easy
to modify (in accordance with whatever standards and guidelines are
applicable).

/sankarshan

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>