[Project-ideas] Project Idea-GSOC 2013

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 00:13:17 PST 2013

Hi Puneet,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM, puneet kala <puneet.0191 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am from India, a B.tech Final year Student from DA-IICT and I was
> interested in working on the project mentioned on:
>
> http://ankur.org.in/projects/project-ideas/
>
> The topic of the project is: An application UI testing framework for
> validating translation completeness and quality
>
> I had a talk about this on IRC but the idea was not clear to me properly so
> can somebody help me out to get a clear understanding of the idea?

There are a couple of things I'd request. First, please get familiar
with the native language (an Indian language you are familiar with)
for a Linux distribution and, especially a desktop environment eg.
GNOME or, KDE. Second, have a look at <http://deckard.malizor.org/> -
this allows translators to visually check how the UI elements look
when translated. The premise of the idea you quoted was to look at
extending an existing framework eg. LDTP or, Sikuli to be able to
validate aspects like whether the translated string has bloated the
UI, whether it fits into the UI element. Additionally, these checks
could be easy written in some specific format which the tool can use
to undertake automated test runs.

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>