[Project-ideas] Reg- Inquiring More Details for the Project [Add language grammar rules to a machine translation system]

piyush arora piyusharora07 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 06:33:06 PDT 2013

Hi Sankarshan,

I looked into two main aspects 1) Learning Different Models Using Moses and
2) Data sources for English-Bengali language pair.

Models of our interest-
1) Phrased Based Approach- rely on parallel corpora and monolingual corpus
for forming language model and dictionaries can also be incorporated to get
enriched information and reduce missing or erroneous translation.
2) Factored Approach http://www.statmt.org/moses/?n=Moses.FactoredModels-
rely on parallel data with more enhanced information such as part of
speech, morph and other information.

I read some papers it seems factored approach perform better as compared to
phrased based approaches, it can be interpreted as a model over Phrase
incorporating linguistic information and cues.

Data Sources-
The main 2-3 data sources that have been used are as follows-
1) EMILLE corpus http://www.elda.org/catalogue/en/text/W0037.html it has
about 18k bengali-english sentences
2) Joshua Corpus *

http://joshua-decoder.org
*
*

*
3) Learning information from wikipedia dumb which has about 25k articles

>Golam did a stellar job with Anubadok. However, it does have a current
>limitation in being unable to be turned on to a data source of scale
>in order to have inorganic generation of content in Bengali

Can you provide more information about same ? Is it more a rule based /
syntax model .

>We are aiming to create a reasonably robust MT system that we can
>deploy and point to a content source of significant volume and obtain
>translated content (in Bengali, primarily) which can be curated and
>the MT system can continue to learn from the curation/editing. In
>short, a sentient continuous MT system.
Idea seems good, I guess we need to chart and fix some things which will
help to plan and design things accordingly.

Regards
Piyush Arora