[Project-ideas] GSoC idea for improving the aesthetic quality of Indian Scripts

Mayank Jha mayank25080562 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 14:10:24 PDT 2013

Well I phrased it wrongly and am sorry for that. By referring to the
problems pertaining to halant, anuswar, chandrabindu and stuff, I meant to
imply that the standards pertaining to these would be used in the tool
which we want to create! I havent faced any such issue in the existing
fonts like MANGAL.ttf, kruti dev etc. because they are well tried and
tested.
I was referring to the new fonts which the user wishes to contribute, and
which needs testing!
Taking the example of http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/views/View_JanaMarathi.html
1. The kha letter does not have a proper curvature, at the lower lefthand
corner.
2. The ae ki matra on the letter kha is too straight, ie straight as
halant, this would not only confuse a newcomer into the devnagri script.
3. Also there is lack of uniformity in the manner in which matras are
applied to the various consonants. for rg the choti e ki matra has no
joining with the upper line, while the o ki matra has a joining.
4. The conjugation of half ka and full ka also doesnt seem to be
appropriate. the joining line is too straight, it needs curve a bit to make
it look like there is real conjugation.
5. The letter ka also does not look nice, as the two sections on either
side of the middle line seems to be unrelated

Based on the standards set by expert linguists, we can make a tool similar
to fontQA.
As far as how should we go about making the tool.
I have a doubt, when you said we could also extend fontQA with rule sets
does that mean creating fontQA testsuites?