[Project-ideas] Project Proposal for GSOC2013

Shikhar Sharma sharma.shikhar at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 05:29:46 PDT 2013

-> self introduction (courses attending etc)
   My name is Shikhar Sharma. I am a student of B.Tech Computer Science, 2nd year in VIT, Vellore
   I have completed my schooling from various Schools, last one being Alchon International, NOIDA U.P
   I have a keen interest in learning various technologies.
   Currently I have enrolled myself in CISCO Certification training, I am a part of Artificial
   Intelligence group in VIT and besides that, I prefer learning and implementing various latest languages.
   I am attending Natural Language Processing course from Coursera. It is the best technical exposure related
   to my project.

-> what is the scope of the proposal (especially what is outside the scope)

   Project Idea:
   I want to propose a project which combines the use of speech recognition and speech synthesis.
   Let say if I have a famous French video, but unfortunately I don't understand French
   language. If I am desperate to watch this video, the only option in hand is to search
   for a dubbed version in English, as I can understand English. But what if the dubbed
   movie is not available??
   So to help this situation out, I am planning to develop a plug-in which can be installed in
   any of the video players say VLC. The plug-in will then convert the audio from one language
   to another. To accomplish this, I will use speech recognition to translate
   the spoken words into text, say from French audio to French text.
   Speech Synthesizer would be further used to convert text to speech (TTS). So the French text
   is now converted to English text and which will further be converted to English audio using
   TTS.

   Challenge:
   The main challenge would be to consider all the possible languages for translation and not
   restricting this plug-in for particular language translation.

-> familiarity with the tools, infrastructure and concepts of the project
   Tools and knowledge required:
   Different API's which help in TTS and speech recognition.
   Proficiency in Python and Java language.
   I am attending Natural Language Processing course from Coursera.

-> how many hours per work will you be able to commit to your project?
   I can give around 5-6 hours per day for the project. I am a student
   and since I'll have summer vacations so it'll be easy to devote even more
   if required in that period.

-> do you want to inform the project about any other commitments you have
   I have enrolled myself in CISCO Certification training, I am a part of Artificial
   Intelligence group and Juvenile club in VIT.
   Though I can handle these commitments efficiently, but I may divert from putting 5-6 hrs
   only in case of any main examination.

-> how will you adjust to a mentor who will be virtually present?
   With technologies like Skype, Google+, Desktop Sharing tool I can easily catch up with my
   mentor according to our conveniences.

-> are you comfortable in English
   I am Very comfortable and Proficient in Verbal and Written communication in English.

Shikhar Sharma