[Project-ideas] GSOC 2013 - Project : "Add a language model for speech recognition software for Bengali language"

Bhavani Shankar R bhavi at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 14 09:25:13 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM, manish sharma
<manish09.iitroorkee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !!
>
> A speech recognition engine has 3 components :
>
> 1) Language model.
> 2) Acoustic model
> 3) Decoder.
>
> As Each language language has distinct number of sounds and type of sound.
> so we need to develop both an acoustic model and a language model.
>
> My plan how to develop a acoustic model and language model is shared with
> this doc.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/18gk39nrmSl6mOAYZ_zelVMnSPyS2-HY0CnLi03vxc44/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I have already shared it with you with a message
>
> GSOC 2013- Project : "Add a language model for speech recognition for
> bengali language."
>
> Report is a little lengthy :).
>
> Looking forward for an early response.

Hi Manish,

CMU sphinx looks fine for me. Just a couple of quick basic questions here:

a) How do you think you can extend the dictionary for complex
phrases/sentences (as a general view) and How do you think you can
implement an acoustic model without much distortion, ensuring clarity
for indic languages? (Since you have mentioned creation of acoustic
model)
b) What do you think about using a language model like MITLM along with sphinx?

Regards,

--
Bhavani Shankar
Ubuntu Developer       |  www.ubuntu.com