[Project-ideas] About my speech recognition project

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 05:51:39 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Madhura Parikh <madhuraparikh at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Yes, this question would really require that we make our model more generic.
> So our model is currently limited by the fact that it can recognize only the
> six basic emotions - So it can recognize Hot Anger - in which the voice is
> likely to be hot and excited and show similar contours and energy
> distributions across different languages, but it may not be able to
> accurately recognize a more subtle emotion like say sarcasm in which we need
> to be more aware of the regional tone modulations.

[snip]

Thank you for taking time to explain the parts of your project and,
also respond to the questions.

The idea "Speech based query and result retrieval system for Indian
languages" has an illustrative example (a real life one) of how an
input of speech based query in Indian languages can be used to
retrieve results from a content system. The example has an (obvious?)
flaw - the content store is superbly organized because the pattern of
input queries can probably be predicted. The project idea is to break
this constraint while also using a stack/framework which would make
this easily plugged into as an overlay over any content store eg.
think of a mobile app for Wikipedia which relies on voice input to
query and thereafter retrieve content (and, perhaps read it out). And,
that's just the start.

> Also I have been reading up preparatory material for the project on IR from
> OCR of Indic Texts and I an finding it really exciting. I will t post about
> the literature survey I have done so far and some questions that I have.
> Incidentally I had to present a seminar on IR in our Knowledge Based
> Management Systems course in College, only this week, so it has been a great
> help.

To be able to improve IR from OCR/digitized documents is of invaluable
help in creating content from archived sources. I'll wait for your
summary of that.

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>