[Project-ideas] GSOC 2013 Introduction

Atanu Ghosh atanu1991 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 05:34:20 PDT 2013

Hi Sir,

I have done a preliminary survey on the topic and have come up with a few
points.

As per the description of the project idea "Develop a language model for
speech processing by extending a freely available corpus" I have come
up with:

We can go with CMUSphinx to build the language model for Bengali.This can
be done as shown in Reference [1].
Now one point is that CMUSphinx has laready been tried.To do something new
we can use Julius as I dont think it has been tried with Bengali.It will be
definitely something new.

Next the problem is gathering data to train our system.I have found out to
2 approaches to get data.One is to use the data available on the
shruthi Bangla ASR site [2] or we can use the algorithm in this paper [3]
to generate phonemes consonants etc.

Third the actual STT can be done as mentioned in Reference [1] with the
guidance of paper in Reference [4].Methods to reduce the noise and hence
improve accuracy can be thought of (I havent research on it still).

Also I was curious whether we can make a TTS system.I was looking up at
Dhvani [5].They say the Bengali module needs a lot improvements [6].Using
the large data we have if we train Dhvani to improve and recognize digits
even a good TTS system can be obtained.

Finally, a very complete and concise documentation with all source code,
method of implementation can be released for STT and TTS or both, which can
be used by others to develop a language model for any Indic script.The
proof=of-concept as said, will be done in Bengali and demonstrated.

Thank you for your patience to go through this rather long mail.Please
suggest any new ideas/concepts wherein I can improve upon what I wrote in
this mail and come with a basic draft of the final objective.

Thanking you in anticipation,
Atanu