[Project-ideas] Project Ideas

Bhavani Shankar R bhavi at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 10 07:30:52 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Madhura Parikh <madhuraparikh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Madhura,

> I am Madhura Parikh, currently a final year Computer Engineering student at
> National Institute of Technology, Surat. I am highly motivated to do a
> project in NLP. Two ideas I am very enthusiastic to work on are

Thanks for introduction and intent.

> 2. Speech based query and result retrieval system for an Indian language.

Just went through the pdf's on your site on the speech recognition project:

A couple of quick questions here:

a) You have mentioned in the pdf that its linguistic independent model
using opensmile and praat which is great but how would you think you
can implement the same for an Indic model? What do you think are the
baselines that are used here? or differences/difficulties wrt indic
languages?

b) Secondly, the modulations should be captured clear enough to ensure
accurate results I think in case of indic languages.. How do you think
you can ensure reliable accuracy given that indic dialects have their
own style of speech? example: the way one speaks hindi might be
different from the way one speaks kannada.

(The second one is in a broader sense of application though but would
really love to hear inputs though)

> I have previously done an internship in NLP at IISc, Bangalore and also a
> short workshop at Carnegie-Mellon - IIIT Delhi, winter school. In my final
> year project, I am working on speech emotion recognition. So it would be
> very exciting to do such a detailed project in NLP.
>
> p.s. to know more of the projects I've worked on visit
> https://sites.google.com/site/madhuraparikh/

Nice site and keep up the good work you are doing.

Regards,
--
Bhavani Shankar
Ubuntu Developer       |  www.ubuntu.com