[Project-ideas] Introduction

Shaumik Daityari sdaityari at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 02:21:36 PDT 2013

Hi,

My name is Shaumik Daityari and I am currently pursuing an Integrated
M.Tech. at IIT Roorkee [0].

I am also a part of Information Management Group, a student group which
manages all intranet and internet facilities of IIT Roorkee, including the
main website. I have worked in C++, PHP and Python/Django before, but that
code is neither open source, nor available outside the intranet. I am also
the part of the core team of three which developed the Placement Portal of
IIT Roorkee in Django, screenshots and overview of which is available at
[1], and I have the experience of handling such large projects in the past.

I have contributed to Open Source before, and you can check my
contributions at [2].

Being a Bengali by birth, I believe this is a great opportunity for me to
help my mother tongue get its rightful place in the Open Source world.

Regarding the project ideas, I am interested in developing an application
UI Testing Framework for validating translation completeness and quality
[3]. Although the idea asks for a desktop application, I would suggest
making a web application in Django as that would make it platform
independent. Also, the use of web technologies, including but not limited
to jQuery and Bootstrap CSS would make the user experience better, and the
development faster. I would like to discuss this more, so it would be great
if you could let me know two things about this project- who the mentor is
and whether I should continue this discussion in the mailing list of
personally with the mentor.

[0] http://www.iitr.ac.in/
[1]
https://www.quora.com/Indian-Institutes-of-Technology/How-good-is-your-campus-placement-portal/answer/Shaumik-Daityari