[Project-ideas] Project-Printed Bangla OCR System.

gaurav bhadra gaurav.bhadra at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 03:39:05 PDT 2013

Dear Sir/Ma'am,
I am a final year student of St. Xavier's College, Kolkata pursuing B.Sc in
Computer Science. I will be finishing my bachelor's course in a few months
and will be pursuing my Master's degree from the University of Oxford.
Since my Master's course starts in October, I have a lot of free time now
and would like to take this opportunity to work on a project for Google
Summer Of Code.

I would like to work on Printed Bangla OCR System. It is an interesting
topic and will be a nice challenge improving the performance of current
systems to above 98%! I will be submitting a detailed proposal by tomorrow
specifying how I have planned to implement it. I like the initiative taken
by Ankur.org.in and the ideology of the organization. Since my mother
tongue is Bangla, it gives me an added impetus to work on this project.
Though my project will mainly focus on implementing a Bangla OCR system, it
should provide a basic framework for other Indic languages.

I have worked on related topics such as Image Processing and Pattern
Matching in MATLAB and Java. I am also proficient in SQL, C and C++.

I hope you will go through my proposal and suggest ways to improve upon it.
Looking forward to working with you,
Yours truly,

Gaurav Bhadra.
St. Xavier's College. Kolkata.