[Project-ideas] Fwd: GSoC 2013 Project Idea

Joy Chakraborty joy.virus2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 02:12:16 PDT 2013

Hello,

   1. I am Debdutto Chakraborty, currently studying in pre-final year
   B.Tech in Computer Science and engineering from Asansol Engineering
   College. Also, I'm new to this world of open source although I've been
   using Ubuntu & various other Open Sourced software por past 3-4 years, I
   had no idea that it was such a huge thing.

    2. I was going through the ideas page and the following two project
   ideas really struck me:

   - *Design and development of a print ready OpenType font for Bengali*:
   Being a Bengali myself, a;though i could speak bengali but I learned to
   read/write the language quite later in life. Also I'm familiar with font
   designing techniques as i created a font of my own handwriting using a
   technique given long back in Digit magazine. Although there might be
   different tools at work here, but I'm known to be highly adaptive in such
   cases.

   - *Add** a language model for speech recognition software for Bengali
   language*: For people like me, who can speak/read fluent Bengali but
   stutter while writing, this kind of software will a boon. Although I'm not
   familiar with how speech recognition actually works or how it is built, I'm
   researching/googling everything I can find on the web right now. Also, any
   help from Ankur India will be great

   1. Since I'm in college now, I've classes. Still, i will be able to
   provide around 8-10 hours of work every day. If more time is needed I'm
   always ready to cough up some extra work-hours.

    2. Speaking of commitments I only have my college classes & nothing
   else.

    3. I've arranged for a unlimited Internet connection, and I'll always
   be on-line on the IRC channels. Therefore, a mentor's presence virtually
   will be of no hindrance. We will be able to communicate via mails, IRC,
   mailing-lists.

    4. Yes, I'm comfortable in English.

Yours Sincerely,
Debdutto Chakraborty