[Project-ideas] Creating a translation library for Mozilla DTD and similar documents

Tirtha Chatterjee tirtha.p.chatterjee at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 07:15:31 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Tirtha Chatterjee
<tirtha.p.chatterjee at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to work on bringing translation support for files like Mozilla
> DTD through a desktop application.
> I have studied the format of Mozilla DTDs and property files in
> detail, and found that it has these salient differences with the POT
> format -
>
> 1. The source string and translated string are in different files
> 2. The text is bound to the GUI components of the chrome, so they have
> an extra property
> 3. They explicitly specify a keyboard accelerator
>
> This can either be implemented as a C library that can be reused in
> gtranslator, and then provide a Qt wrapper over it, and use it for
> Lokalize. This approach, however, has a problem

Okay, I looked at the sources of gtranslator, and realized that it
will be easier to implement the support as a library, and then
integrate it in gtranslator. We can later extend this, and have a Qt
wrapper that works with Lokalize. But for now, since the gtranslator
code does not have an existing way of translating multiple file
formats, I think creating a reusable library in glib and C is best.
I'll try to write a sample mockup program that reads through .DTD
files and extract info from them, and display them in a tabular format
after storing them in GLists.

What do you think?

--
Regards