[Project-ideas] gsoc 2012 project idea---A Glossary Tool to index all available localizable strings for Bengali across various FOSS projects and, other available corpus

Subhobrata Dey sbcd90 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 01:23:49 PDT 2012

Hello all,
          i'm an undergraduate student studying computer sc. & engg. at
jadavpur university,kolkata.I wish to participate in this years gsoc.I have
seen the list of project ideas available on the website & the project on
developing a glossary tool to index all localizable strings for bengali
interests me the most.However before i formalize my project idea,i have a
few doubts to clear regarding the project details specified in the website.

First of all,i would love to share the prerequisites that i already have
for this project.I have recently been taught internationalization in
college & found interest in the topic. I implemented codes based on java s
i18n library(have idea about pythons i18n library too).

my questions are:
1>What exactly is expected out of this project?A glossary is ok,but will it
also include a translator from an international standard language like
English to Bengali too?Since this will act as a reference tool for
translation,so a glossary of words alone won't do.This is because as far as
i know,a string from english is always not exactly word-by-word translated
to bengali.Java & Python i18n libraries have methods to do this
translation.So,for high quality translation this issue needs to be taken
care of.

2>What is meant by self-learning glossary?Is it like parsing the
localizable string & learning the meaning of words from it & using them to
construct valid strings in future?Then i think this will involve nlp.
It will be great if these doubts of mine are clarified.

by the way,creating a desktop application will be included in my project
too if time permits.
Hope to get a reply soon.

--
subhobrata