[Project-ideas] Proposal for "New keyboard layout specific to input on mobile devices"

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 07:57:22 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Suvonil Chatterjee <suvonil at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm Suvonil, currently in my second year of Electronics Engineering @ BITS Pilani. I've been lurking around the mailing list and the irc channel for the last 10-12 days but didn't introduce myself till I had done some solid work. It's been really exciting to go through all the factors that are considered while designing a keyboard layout, the challenges one faces with Indic languages and brainstorming about the same with my friends. The small test runs with trying to render ASCII characters on the keys in Android served as a reminder that nothing worth doing is ever easy. Anyways, I finally submitted my proposal last night.

I'll probably end up asking this and more on the proposal, but here's
a preliminary query - there are a couple of keyboard layouts/input
methods available on the Android Market (Play). Have you had a chance
to look at them ? Additionally, did you include within your study
time, any reading on the why and how of the currently available
layouts for Bengali ?

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>