[Project-ideas] A validation system for translated strings based upon Translation Style Guides of language communities.

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 17:39:00 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Turja Kundu <turja_cse06 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From the statement
>

>                     " A validation system for translated strings based upon
> Translation Style Guides of language communities"
>

> i understand that this tool's work  is to ensure the unaffectedness of
> already implemented algorithm to the translator while adding new
> features.when new features are added then this tool checks  the already
> implemented Style Guides by matching the current bangla translation(after
> adding new rules) by the translator of a set of English statements (of these
> previously implemented style guides) with the actualbangla translation, if
> there is any contradiction. if all previous implemented style guides are
> satisfied by the newly added rules then the new rules are accepted.

I'd rather put it in a simpler manner using an analogy. If you have
Pootle for translations you'll notice that Pootle has a set of
rules/filters in pofilters which check for fuzzy strings, strings
which break and so forth. What is however not available is the means
to codify the statements in a Translation Style Guide into a set of
rules which can then be run on various pieces/string of translated
software. Why is this important ? As a language community grows and
evolves it attracts new people, and, as it radiates outward touching
newer software, the ability to maintain consistency becomes difficult
because while the style guide exists, the statements in that aren't
converted to rules which can be used for validation.

> i have studied the test suite of anubadok. i realize from the heading of
> that project  that the aim of this project is to build a module like the
> test suite of anubadok. if i am wrong  please correct me. if i am correct
> then please give me some idea about your expectation from that project and
> it will be very helpful if you also give some guideline to make my proposal
> that fulfills your expectation from that project.

I would probably suggest that you look at a project called translation
filter <https://fedorahosted.org/translation-filter/> and explore
whether it is possible to work on the basic premise of that tool to
allow Style Guides to be converted to rules which can then be run over
translated content.

> As Bangla is my mother tongue and  1st language so i have good knowledge
> about the style guides of Bangla.

Which style guides are you already familiar with ?

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>