[Project-ideas] FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT GSOC2012 PROJECT PROPOSAL

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 17:27:06 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Gourab Saha
<gourab.isikolkata at gmail.com> wrote:

> The key idea is to propose and implement a method to improve the
> cross-language information retrieval with a
> pair of languages(Bengali/English).We have RISOT data set containing article
> from ABP bengali news paper corpus
> from 2004-2006 as well as The Telegraph english newspaper corpus. It will
> take the query in english and retrieve the
> results from the bengali corpus . The above mentioned will go through a
> process of implementation translation,transliteration,
> blind relevance feedback,query expansion and finally the information
> retrieval.I am aiming for a well-accepted  accuracy
> measure.

Is the ABP corpus made available to be used by anyone ?

> I have few questions other than technical issues of the project.
>
> 1. Apart  from  mentors from the organization(http://ankur.org.in/) can I
> have a mentor from my institution/foreign university? However They will not
> be
>     anyway related to GSOC2012.

You can have someone (I assume it is someone at your institute) who
would be informally guiding you, but they will not be officially
listed as a mentor. If you do have someone, your GSoC mentor would
require to ensure that a baseline of expectation is set before hand
and hence we would need to get in touch.

> 2. If my proposal is accepted and my research in this summer lead to paper
> publication is there any type of constraints/to-dos from
>     GSOC or from your organization for publishing a paper?As far I
> understood Google doesn't have any problem as long as I release my
>     code under open source license.

We have been asked this question earlier as well. The short answer is
that if you are publishing a paper under your individual name then it
is fine. If you intend to include your institute, and, such inclusion
has restrictions on free distribution of the paper, then there is
concern. Irrespective of the choice you'll make, you'll have to
mention that you worked on this project under Ankur's participation in
GSoC 2012.

>  Kindly let me know any other issues regarding the proposal(Details will be
> included in the final proposal) or any other impediments over
> any other related issues . Kindly give your valuable feedback,as I am on my
> way to draft my formal proposal.

I think you are on the right track. What I'd really request is to take
a look at your proposal and set expectations that challenge you, not
those which you can pretty easily attain. Soft-balling/sand-bagging
isn't a good thing in a nice proposal.

<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>